Okay, so I know you probably read the title of this recipe and thought....beets...in a cake? No way, that sounds gross!! Trust me, I might have said that myself, but once you taste this cake...you forget that there are actually beets in it. The only thing that I wish I could have done differently was, I was I could have gone to Schrute Farms and personally gotten the beets from Dwight himself. I guess the grocery store will have to do. This cake is also vegan (!!!) - and you can't even tell.
Here's what you'll need:
1 cup plus 2 extra tablespoons of Almon Milk (I used unsweetened original "flavor")
1 medium sized beet - peeled and cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal *optional*
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of applesauce
3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups (organic) white wheat flour
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Here's what you'll do:
1. Peel (it's easiest to use a vegetable peeler) and dice your beet (be careful, your hands will turn pink!!) Put the cut up beet, almond milk, vinegar and flaxseed in a blender and blend until totally smooth.
2. Pour beet mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in the sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract.
3. Next, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly fold the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture until fully combined.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a bundt pan or an angel food cake pan (I used this one!) Pour cake batter into pan. Put into oven and bake for about an hour or until you can stick a knife into the center and it comes back out clean.
5. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 30 minutes. Once it's cool enough, you can un-mold the cake and voila! ....You can choose to put an icing or frosting on this cake or not.
I hope you guys try this cake! I promise...you can't tell that there's a beet in it and you can't tell that it's vegan. All you can tell is that it's simply declicious and is actually good for you. Yum...chocolate...
Let me know what you guys think!